A Palestinian was killed by Israeli forces on Friday afternoon while participating in a Great March of Return demonstration in the besieged Gaza Strip, the Gaza health ministry reported.
The Palestinian, identified by a ministry spokesperson as 25-year-old Karim Mohammed Kallab, died after being shot by live fire.
A further 312 Palestinians were reportedly wounded, including four in serious condition and one critical, during the protests on Friday, which took place in several locations in eastern Gaza along the fence separating the Palestinian enclave from Israel.
Friday’s demonstration took place under the title of “Breaking the siege Friday,” as protesters denounced the continuation of the 11-year blockade on Gaza imposed by Israel and upheld by Egypt.
According to a Middle East Eye reporter on the ground, Israeli forces shot live fire and tear gas at the thousands of demonstrators gathered along the fence.
“We will remain steadfast, even if they cut our arms and legs and we die as martyrs, we will remain steadfast, by God’s will. We will not feel scared or be afraid of death,” said Abd al-Aziz, one of the protesters.
Protesters ripped large coils of barbed wire placed by Israeli forces near the fence.
Earlier in the day, the ministry had reported that Israeli forces had killed 183 Palestinians and wounded another 20,160 since the beginning of the Great March of Return on 30 March.
For Samaher Ibrahim, a mother of eight, the potentially fatal dangers did not deter her or her family from participating in the protests.
“This is about the entire Palestinian people, not just us as individuals,” she told MEE. “If each one says ‘I don’t want to go,’ then who will resist against the siege?”